The Beatles Greatest (German Stereo) (Dr. Ebbett DBM-038)
1. I Want To Hold Your Hand (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Twist And Shout (Russell/Medley)
3. A Hard Day’s Night (Lennon/McCartney)
4. Eight Days A Week (Lennon/McCartney)
5. I Should Have Known Better (Lennon/McCartney)
6. Long Tall Sally (Johnson/Penniman/Blackwell)
7. She Loves You (Lennon/McCartney)
8. Please Mister Postman (Holland/Bateman/Gorman/Dobbins/Garrett)
9. I Feel Fine (Lennon/McCartney)
10. Rock And Roll Music (Berry)
11. Ticket To Ride (Lennon/McCartney)
12. Please Please Me (Lennon/McCartney)
13. It Won’t Be Long (Lennon/McCartney)
14. From Me To You (Lennon/McCartney)
15. Can’t Buy Me Love (Lennon/McCartney)
16. All My Loving (Lennon/McCartney)
“The Beatles Greatest” album was released on the Parlophone label (catalogue # OMHS 3001) in 1975. I was struck by the comfortable spacing between just about all of the tracks. The harmonies are exquisite and extremely smooth sounding.
DBM-038 is a Dr. Ebbetts stereo remaster that transfers nicely. The bass is a bit flat and muddy on ‘”I Should Have Known Better” and could have been more defined as it was, for example, on “Long Tall Sally”. The bass is a bit exaggerated on “She Loves You”.
This release is a collection of pleasant sounding danceable hits that blend well together. The gain could have been elevated on most of these tracks but all in all this is a very well put together release with improved fidelity.